Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Destrucive Locomotive, part I

“Sestina dé Slacker” by Sam Urfer

I

I think I’ll talk about boredom
While I sit here in my privacy
Leaning back as I move my pen
Over the plain notebook paper
Seeking to attain a sense of ease
As I ponder what to write

II

It is no small matter to write
It does not always come with ease
Sometimes I just sit there and look at the paper
Hesitating to lift my pen
Afraid to put an end to my boredom
And break my wall of privacy

III

All I have is my privacy
Where I can be myself at ease
Alone with my blank white paper
Trying to fill it with my pen
Seeking inspiration to write
Through my great Muse, Lady Boredom

IV

What can I say about Boredom?
Without her prompt, why ever write?
She stirs in my heart's privacy
When she speaks, she makes a prison of ease.
So I get up and take my pen
Seeking release in this paper

V

It taunts me, this piece of paper
As I sit here and try to write
Distracted in my idle ease
Seeking relief for my boredom
In my foolish, accursed privacy!
Be Thou my Salvation, O Pen!

VI

This sly traitor, my false friend “Pen”
Leads me to this attempt to write
Despair grips me in my boredom
Steals from me any sense of ease
Oh, how I hate my privacy
My only companion this dead paper!

VII

Still, here I put pen to paper,
Out of boredom set out to write,
Seeking ease in my privacy.

No comments: